History of the Rural Skills Centre

The Rural Skills Centre is the learning and development subsidiary of New Park Farm. Its vision is to provide an encouraging environment that promotes countryside creativity, the sharing of country life expertise and engagement with rural crafts and skills.

The Jones family have farmed New Park Farm since 1976. As sixth generation farmers we are well versed with innovation and developing skills that enable us to keep abreast of new technologies.

Family Timeline

1938

William (Bill) Jones purchased Bridge Farm, Michaelston-y-fedw from the Tredegar Estate. Bill won many trophies for his ploughing skills ans shared his passion for the land with his sons William (Reg) and David.

1957

Reg continued the family tradition with his own sons and purchased rented land at Bridge Farm from the Tredegar Estate.

1976

Roger and John Jones, Reginald’s sons purchased New Park Farm. The farm was originally part of the Tredegar Estate and passed into private ownership in the 1950’s.

1977

Purchased at auction, 71 acres of adjoining land at Penylan Farm.

1996

As the nature of farming evolved, John’s diversification led to the development of Cefn Mably Lakes.

2011

Sustainability has always been close to the heart os a family that maintains the land for future generations. The family, led by Matthew, Roger and Gill’s son, has reduced its carbon footprint by installing a 50kw wind turbine to power its agricultural activity. The turbine is affectionately called ‘Trevor’.

2016

The family are celebrating 40 years of farming at New Park Farm and aim to share skills founded on rural life, establishing the Rural Skills Centre.