Come and join Imants Grindulis and learn simple woodturning skills that will enable you to turn and craft your very own wooden pen that you will take home with you. This exciting workshop introduces you to the principles of using a lathe safely, care of woodworking tools, the suitability and preparation of wood for your wooden pen project and spindle turning. The wood you will use for your pen is natural and environmentally sustainable. The workshop will give you the skills to create a perfect gift, the workshop itself, also makes a wonderful present.
[tabby title=”Learning Experience”]
By the end of this workshop, you will know how to;
- Follow health and safety guidance when turning and finishing wood;
- Recognise basic wood turning tools and how to use them;
- Prepare wood for your wood turned project (practice piece and your wooden pen);
- Secure your work piece to a lathe safely;
- Turn your wood safely and correctly; and
- Finish your turned wood pieces to create your pen.
[tabby title=”What you will take home”]
At the end of the workshop, you will take home your practice piece and your turned and crafted finished wooden pen.
[tabby title=”Important Details”]
The Rural Skills Centre will provide;
- All materials to make your wooden pen will be provided;
- Protective equipment will be available for you to use;
- Tea/Coffee and homemade cake are provided for you to enjoy,
- There is plenty of parking available,
- Accessible facilities.
Additionally, please wear;
- Leather/covered footwear (This will protect against items that you may accidentally drop);
- Long sleeved non-woollen top (Wood cuttings tend to stick to wool more than synthetic materials);
- Long hair will need to be tied back;
- Please advise us if you are sensitive to nut oils/beeswax/natural resins when booking.
This workshop is suitable for;
This introductory session is suitable for complete beginners who have a practical and enquiring mind. It is a practical hands-on workshop so a desire to have a go is essential.